Newport Lakes Primary School has a long interesting history. It is the oldest continually operating government primary school in the Western Metropolitan Region of Melbourne. Established on July 8th, 1855, it was moved to Elizabeth St, Newport on November 5th, 1886.
In 1967 fire extensively damaged the school leaving only four rooms – and destroying many historical records. One thing it did not destroy was the fabric of the Newport Primary School Community.
In 2006 the school and the local community came together to celebrate the 150th birthday of the school at the Elizabeth Street site.
The school has had many name changes - Cambridge (1851), Geelong Junction (1867), Williamstown Junction (1874), Newport State (1886). To move with the times, its present name was accepted in July 2000 - Newport Lakes Primary School. This name identifies with the wonderful resource in such close proximity - the Newport Lakes.
School Council has taken a very positive approach to resource provision. Students are provided with current materials and resources in all curricula areas.
The school grounds are spacious, well maintained and provide an excellent recreational space for our students.
The school population is mainly drawn from the local area. At present the enrolment is 403 children and over the last few years the enrolment is increasingly reflecting the change in demographic of the local community and the positive impact the staff and school community are having as they provide a positive and engaging place of learning.
Newport Lakes is a small school that values an educational partnership between home and school. Parents are encouraged to participate and share in their child’s education.